When you and your ex-partner are not married, but have been living together, the subjects to deal with can be similar to a divorce. Besides that the emotional aspects can be equally severe. Even when you have been living together without a contract, there can still be joint property. However, without marriage or a contract, you are not entitled to spousal alimony. And you are not entitled to share the old age pension or claim a survivor’s dependent pension. Also, without marriage, you do not automatically share the legal custody of the children.

When you are ending you cohabitation, you might also need to ask the court to make a temporary decision. This can be done in a preliminary relief proceeding, or in special proceedings based on joint custody and the lack of consent between the parents who share the custody. In that case the court can make a temporary arrangement on access or primary residence.