The Dutch word is: betekening. It means that once you have filed for a divorce, you have to have the papers served to your ex. That way he or she can make sure to defend themselves in time. There are different ways to serve the papers. Normally, this is done by the plaintiff, after your lawyer has send the papers to the court. It is more difficult to serve in another country, or when you don’t know the current adres of your ex. That’s why there are special rules for those situations.

Related Entries